A Millennial Woman’s Guide To Not Being An Imposter In A World Full Of Fakes!
Authenticity is the word for the month yall! Yeah, I know, this is the one month out of the year when you can dress up and become whoever or whatever you want but for some people that “costume” has been on since January *sips tea* and it’s time to take that thang off and be yourself, flaws and all, unapologetically!
What does it mean to be authentic?
Sis, when you’re authentically you your actions and words align with what you believe in and the things that you value. You ain’ out here saying one thing, doing another, and then trying to make people believe something totally different…that’s fake! We have enough imposters out there, Sis, please don’t choose that bandwagon to jump on.
Let’s go on the road less travelled…the road of AUTHENTICITY!
Being authentic requires you to really think about who you truly are. Are your beliefs and values truly your own? Or are they your beliefs and values because someone else told you that’s what you should care about, or how you should act, when you were younger and now it’s just habit ? For real, take some time and think about that.
For most of us, Millennials, we are now getting to the “shifting” point in our lives. We are figuring out what thoughts, principles, beliefs, and people serve us and getting rid of those that don’t. Shifting our lives to only be around those and participate in things that enhance our lives.
Being authentic requires character building! Authentic people have qualities that separate us from the imposters! Some qualities of authentic people include but aren’t limited to:
- Having a good character
- Being self-reflective
- Being open-minded
- Being non-judgemental
- Living in the present
- Being great listeners
- Being honest
- & Being consistent
Sis, check the qualities above and then check yourself. Are there any areas you think can use some attention? You have to be real with yourself before you can be real to the world!
Girl, I knew you were gone ask me why it matters. Well, reason #1 (and the only reason needed tbh) is because it’s easier to be yourself than it is to try and be someone else. You can copy, copy, copy, as much as you want of a person or group of people but when you try to paste what you stole together even if you gave it your all it will only be a measly knock-off. You are the only person that can be you! You determine what the world sees , what motivates you, what you like and dislike, and all the other attributes that make you you!
When you aren’t being your authentic self you’ll notice that you feel like your life is off-balance or meaningless and some people even begin to notice a disconnect from those that you were once close to or people in general.
So what can you do about it? Check out these steps to being AUTHENTICALLY YOU!
- Know that this is something that you have to practice. Everyday you will have situations that come up in which you’ll have to decide if you are going to be real or put on a front!
- Don’t convey the thought or feeling if it isn’t how you really feel. Only express your truth.
- Care less about what people think and how they feel about your life and decisions you’ve made so far. Most times the people that have the most to say about your life ain’ doing ish with theirs!
- Trust yourself! We all have intuitions for a reason. Allow it to be your inner guide it won’t lead you wrong.
- Be open minded! Always remember that everyone didn’t grow up like you did, they didn’t experience what you have, and they have a right to feel/lead their lives how they want as long as it isn’t negatively affecting yours. And to be honest, you probably can learn a thing or two from the people/group that you have the most reservations about if you just open up your mind and heart!
- Take time for yourself! Be by yourself, take yourself out on a date, learn something new about yourself, take time to really sit still and see what thoughts come to your mind. Become so aware of yourself that no one can tell you about you!
- Unchain yourself from your past! If it’s something so traumatic that happened in your life that you just can’t get over…GET THERAPY! For everything else, address it and keep it moving! Live in the now…you can’t do anything about the past and you have no clue what the future holds!
What step(s) do you need to work on, Sis? Don’t be shy we’ve all been here or are currently here and wish we had someone to set us on the right path.
Drop your response in the comments!